2020 Guide to Web Design

Your Digital Storefront

Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents

    Web Design

    As with any brick and mortar business, your storefront and its outward appearance can impact a customers decision on if they should do business with your company. On the internet this customer decision becomes even more crucial due to the increased options and convenience.

    Even if we don't notice, most people do this everyday on the internet with every website they cross. As consumers, we almost automatically recognize the components of a well designed site. Uniformed in color, text and design. Correctly sized images. Organized and informational content can not only signal quality but also qualify your customers themselves.

    Similarly, your customers understand when searching for services what companies are really into there craft and proud of the work they do. Because they show it off, they decorate their websites with content, images, videos and more to help their clients understand what they do and how they can help you with your product or service.

    Which after all, is that we all are looking for?

    Why Does Web Design Matter?

    “88% of online visitors/ consumers are less likely to return to a site after a bad experience.” 
    – (Source: The Gomez report, Why Web Performance Matters)

    Are you willing to lose that many potential clients? In terms of revenue, your website presence is the foundation of EVERYTHING online.

    Small Businesses and Web Design

    “Judgements on a company’s credibility are 75% based on the company’s website design.” 
    – (Source: Web Credibility Research from Stanford)

    Most local businesses and companies don't invest the correct amount of time into digital marketing and specifically website design. If you look more credible than 75% of your competition, how do you think you will perform against other small businesses?

    The Foundation of Digital

    To put it lightly, Google has changed everything in terms of the internet and digital marketing. Millions of websites are scattered throughout google results for certain keywords. 

    Invalid Email

    What Parts Make Up Web Design

    CMS (Content Management Software)

    CMS platforms are the backbones of websites. Different platforms are specialized for different types of businesses usually depending on size and if you sell products or services.

    These platforms act as a storage facility for your content, assets, and files of your entire site. Certain platforms like Squarespace and Wix make it easy for small to medium sized business owners to dive into website ownership without much coding or technical know how.

    WordPress, the most common CMS platform on the web combines plugins and its platform to provide consumers with the best of both worlds regarding ease of use and flexibility to grow. Squarespace and Wix can sometimes lack function and have a smaller window of creativity due to the fact that your website builder is controlled by the software that they have already built.

    You can compare cookie cutter builders like Squarespace, Wix, and Weebly to a basic phone without apps. They work and do their job of calling and texting extremely well, but they don't have any "wow" factor. You could argue with phones that you don't need a wow factor. But when designing a website, having a CMS like WordPress allows for you to invest and use over 20,000 different plugins to customize and display your content in unique ways. Again, this isn't always needed at first but it does provide room to grow and expand your website efforts if you find your business trending upwards.

    As you can see below, the majority of sites on the internet are running on WordPress. In fact, still to this day over 41% of websites run on no CMS platform. These sites are probably old, outdated properties. In the remaining 59% left, WordPress takes up a little over half of all CMS platforms. The 3 platforms below are the most common for small to medium sized businesses.


    WordPress - 1st


    Shopify - 2nd


    SquareSpace - 5th

    “70% of small business websites lack a Call to Action (CTA) on their homepage and across their website.”

    – (Source: GO-Gulf web development)

    FAQ's regarding Web Design

    Scroll to Top